Friday, January 30, 2009

Hair-conomy

Probably one of the most asked questions by my clients these days is if the current economic situation is affecting business. I would be remiss to say that it hasn't. I doubt if our salon is the only one who has noticed. Clients are stretching out services or waiting to make retail purchases until a really good sale comes along.

So what is a hairstylist to do? As has been suggested by several trade publications one simple thing can help me and others in my industry ride out this "storm". That simple thing is to up the quality of our customer service. It really doesn't take much to help a client feel that their time with me is well spent. Simple things that we have implemented the salon I work at have already met with positive reactions, and I am of the mind that there will be long term benefits. with client retention and satisfaction if we all continue to put these things into action.

All in the business world can use simple customer care methods to help keep their businesses strong and vibrant in a weakened economy. Consumers are certainly looking for more bang for their buck. It generally is a very small investment, usually only time, that can help add real value to someone's purchase of an item or service.

In any business it is customer satisfaction that is the best form of advertising there is. A happy customer is more likely to tell their friends and family about the experience at a place of business and recommend that business to others. Sadly the same is true with negative experiences, as an unhappy customer will certainly tell their friends and family about how things did not go as expected or desired. None of us want that type of negative advertising, especially now.

So I am going to remain the eternal optimist,and work to make sure that each of my clients leaves happier then when they arrived, thankful that I have been gifted with the opportunity to do so. When clients ask, I will acknowledge that, yeah, things are a bit slower right now, but it is just a short term thing, then I will work to make my client's visit as positive and beneficial as possible. I suspect that businesses who who take this step, will survive this temporary downturn in profitability.

Besides, I, as that eternal optimist, try with all my might to dissuade negativity. It is almost a mission of mine.

No comments: