Sunday, February 8, 2009

Breaking A Leg, the fun way

For those of you that don't know, I have a very healthy ham bone. For the in-initiated, that means I have no fears of getting up in front of people and acting silly on purpose. The drama bug bit me early and hard. Sadly I didn't get to do near as much drama related things when I was younger as I would have liked. Oh wait, being a mom may count as sometimes you got to act like you don't want to kill your kid when they used permanent marker to decorate a library book.

I did get to participate in a couple of plays in high school. One of which I had a lead, the other a bit part. When I got older, I for many years was behind the scenes doing hair and make-up, directing, or assisting with music. I did spend a fair amount of time on stage doing music for various church functions, but the acting bug still twitched in my mental background.

A few years ago I moved to Spartanburg, and shortly thereafter I joined Spartanburg Community Church. Imagine my delight when I discovered that they had a vibrant music team, and..a drama team, mostly for the kids. My first involvement was helping the vacation bible school production as backstage assistant director and props master. The following season, I took over a reoccurring role in the church's weekly kid's service. I play a mom..big surprise. But sometimes I get to step out of the familiar and do something really different drama wise.

I am so fortunate to have with me a group of highly talented and extremely funny people to work with, any of whom can reduce me to tears of helpless laughter in no time flat. Our weekly program is silly, very energetic and is designed to keep parents and their children entertained all while keeping in a central theme. This month the theme is fairness, as in treating others with respect, and fairness. The scripts are designed to demonstrate that in a humorous way, yet simply so even our youngest audience members can get the point. There is catchy music, a simple bible based lesson tied in, and lots of silly mayhem.

Every once in a while the drama team, of which I am thankful to be a part, does something for the adult services. They are always tied in to what the sermon is about, and usually very funny. They've done a couple of serious pieces, and they get the point across just as well.

Maybe one day I'll have the opportunity to audition for a community theater production. But if not, my acting bug is quite satisfied right now.

Olivia, Shane, Craig, Alan, Candace, Corey, Christina, Ashley, Josh, Chris, John M and John B, Mini, Janice the tech team, the singers, and a welcome gang of occasional actors, thanks for all you do with Kidstuf (what our children's service is called) and for making my part of this so much fun.

If you are now even mildly curious, come check us out this Sunday

No comments: