Monday, December 29, 2008

All I want is a counter

I have always thought myself as somewhat computer savvy, but believe me there are some serious limits to what I can do. Like understand HTML or any other computer based language.

Here's my simple yet impossible (at least for me) delimna. I want to add a visitor counter to this blog site. I have found a site that offers a free counter in several different styles. All you have to do is copy the code and insert it into the code written for my blog page. Simple yeah?

Err, no it isn't. First of all where in all those lines of letters and symbols and dotted lines do you insert this jumble of more letters symbols and dotted lines? I've tried several likely looking places. The result is one of the following. I see absolutely nothing new on my web page, no counter, no blank space where a counter may be lurking, no odd line of odd lettering in a strange place...nothing.

The other is that the edit function refuses the placement of my code imbedding, deciding that I obviously don't know what the heck I am doing, therefore it will refuse to accept my attempt as valid.

Of course I can find nothing that offers a word of help in how to make such a simple addition to my blog page possible. My lack of geek-dom is showing, and it's embarrassing. It was a good fake while it lasted.

1 comment:

SpartanburgSpark.com said...

Does Blogger not offer those kinds of tools on their admin side (where you log in to write the actual blog)? They might have something to that effect here: http://www.blogger.com/wmx-verification-request.g

If not, you might be able to sign-up for a Google Analytics account, so at least you'd know what kind of traffic you're getting, even if we don't.